Roles and Functions of the Central Bank of The Gambia
The mandate of the Central Bank of The Gambia in accordance with the CBG Act 2018 is as follows;
- Achieve and maintain price stability.
- Promote and maintain the stability of the currency of The Gambia.
- Direct and regulate the financial, insurance, banking, and currency system in the interest of the economic development of The Gambia and
- Encourage and promote sustainable economic development and the efficient utilization of the resources of The Gambia through the effective and efficient operation of a financial system.
To Achieve and Maintain Price and Exchange Stability Underpinned by a Sound and Vibrant Financial System to Encourage and Promote Sustainable Economic Development.
We are committed to effectively and efficiently carrying out the following:
- Achieving the inflation targets as agreed within the framework of the PRGF and WAMZ.
- Contributing to the development of a strong and sound financial system that will contribute effectively to the economic development of The Gambia as envisaged in the country’s Vision 2020 strategic framework.
- Ensuring efficient payments systems and maintaining the stability of and confidence in the currency.
- Strengthening internal controls in foreign currency operations and maximizing the returns on the external reserves.
- Contribute to sustainable development of the Gambian economy.
- Achieve a strong reputation in The Gambia and abroad for sound financial management, and
- Becoming a founding member of the West African Central Bank (WACB).